Wednesday, March 12, 2008

This Week's Chaos

Monday I took the kids to playgroup so that my husband could rest in a silent house (the meds he has been taking for his back make him drowsy). Since it is March break around here, playgroup was super quiet which is a nice change from its usual busyness but it also meant my son had a limited choice of kids to play with. In other words he had no boys his age to play with. But he did decide to make a nice St. Patrick's day hat during craft time (which he doesn't usually stay seated long enough to participate in). I meant to take a picture of it but his sister got to it before I could. She's teething again. And also waking up more than usual at night making it very hard for me to pry my head off the pillow in the morning. I'm sure you can sympathize.

Tuesday was a housecleaning and laundry day. The kids seemed to be in one of those independent play day moods which are perfect for getting things done around here. I like to capitalize on those especially when my son has no clean underwear left and my husband (who has now been off for four unexpected days in row and is going a little stir crazy) is asking about his bummy pants. Tuesday's is also cheap day at the local movie theatre so my husband thought it might be nice for me to get out for some one-on-one time with my son and take him to see Veggie Tales:Pirates Who Don't do Anything Movie. Conveniently, I also had some points on my Scene card, so our afternoon of fun wouldn't cost me anything (I can be cheap).

So that's what we did. But then things took a turn for the worst. The movie didn't manage to capture my son's attention like Ratatouille did (which was his first ever big theatre experience with my husband). So about half-way through the movie he started asking to go home. But I wanted to stick it out. You see, even though it was cheap day the theatre still charged me full price on my scene card because they had no way of only deducting half points or whatever the equivalent points would of been. So I didn't want to waste all those points for nothing on a movie we'd only seen half of at this point. I know I was a little bitter.

But anyways, if you haven't seen the movie, after that half way mark is where things start to get a little scary, at least for my son. So now he's on top of me and my leg is going numb and we're just not into the movie. But we made it through and as another mom said "Thank goodness it wasn't any longer". Amen.

So now its supper time and my son gets really cranky when he's tired or hungry. Did I mention he didn't have a very big nap this day? So I have both things working against me. After dragging him from the arcade section of the theatre, which if you ask him, was his favorite part of the movie, we make it out to the car with his feet barely moving. To make matters worse, we still need to stop quickly at the grocery store and pick up some milk. Those poor people at No Frills. The defiant, cranky, sassy side of my son came out. The little bugger even tried biting me which he has re-discovered since a friend of his did it to him. Sigh* But we made it home with my ears only bleeding ever so slightly in the car (from his yelling and screaming) because I took away the ice cream stop that we had previously planned to do after the milk stop because we didn't do popcorn.

I don't know if he's still mad but ever since then its like he's been seeking retribution. Tuesday night was also bath night. (Note to self-water and a spiteful child do not go together) His poor sister has been suffering from most of his wrath. As a result, he's been practically living on the stairs and if this continues may not come out of his room except to eat and poop. I hope this doesn't last too long.

So that was Tuesday.

Today, we had planned a play date with my friend Pam and her son (the son who bit mine a couple of weeks ago) who coincidentally shares the same name as my son. Coincidence that they are almost mirror images of each other personality wise? I think not. Who ever said there's nothing in a name was wrong! We had a nice time until that same cranky, nasty, sassy, defiant, side of my son came out. Maybe it had something to do with the 10 timbits he devoured when we weren't watching and his body was overloaded with sugar and excitement at our first official play date in our new house. I don't know. But he decided today was the day he was going to bite his friend back, a second time (did i mention he already got his friend back from biting him the first time-on his face!! ya that's a story for another time. One of my most embarrassing parenting moments). At the first sign of conflict today my now not-so-lovely firstborn decided to latch onto his friends shoulder. Not so nice.

After some serious consequences he was allowed to come back and play and we were able to salvage the rest of the morning. It was busy yet fun. Pam also has a daughter who's a little younger than mine so the kids each had a playmate. Fun times.

Let's hope we have a nice evening. Will report back later.

2 Comments:

  1. tammi said...
    I will be back to read this some other time, but I wanted to let you know I tagged you over at my blog.
    tammi said...
    Wow, sounds like a rough couple of days!!! I hope you manage to relax and unwind a little -- and that you and your son will be on speaking terms soon!

    Don't worry about the tag. I generally don't do them either, but every now and again I do. This time it was because I was tagged by someone who doesn't have many bloggy friends. Oh, and because it required very little time! I hate doing those long questionnaire type ones. And I hate reading them on other people's blogs almost more. I always think to myself, "sheesh, if you couldn't actually come up with something on your own to write today, you could have just waited a day or two for inspiration to strike." Whatever. I'm not at all offended! Even if you hadn't told me you weren't playing along, I wouldn't have cared.

    Now go put your feet up and relax!! Hope your day went better today!

Post a Comment