Saturday, March 29, 2008

Middle Child Syndrome

Is it possible for a second child with no younger siblings to already have characteristics of a middle child? Does that go away if you never have any more kids?

I find myself constantly awestruck by my daughters personality that to me seems so like that of a middle child. Attention seeking being the big one right now.

Today we spent the majority of the day going store to store scooping up the bargains that make up our groceries (just how I do it). I happened to notice several strangers staring at my load only to discover that my daughter was flashing smiles at whomever would glance her way. Upon even closer observation, she seemed to wait until they were looking to flash her toothy grin. Unbelievable! Once she got them all "ooohh-innng" and "ahhh-iiinng" and pining over her she'd throw herself back and laugh.

Meanwhile, my son, taking this all in of course, would stare until they noticed him and try to engage him in the same playful banter. He would immediately covers his eyes and play all mute and shy. Which is pretty normal for him when he meets strangers.

This is a very strange phenomenon to me.

This of course is just one characteristic of the typical middle child. I think its a little too early to tell if she's an underachiever or loner or unfocused worker.

2 Comments:

  1. Alyson said...
    She just knows that she really IS going to be a Middle child. Just your confirmation that you are having more kids ;)
    Erin said...
    LOL ya Lord willing. :)

Post a Comment