Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Ultrasound Story

Ok so here I am again. The kids are in bed and I thought since I have already promised to write more i'd get you all up to speed on my ultrasound experience.

I had my first ultrasound two weeks and a bit ago now at a local diagnostics center. I chose to schedule there because they could fit me in right away compared to the hospital that was booked right up to mid-June. Since I haven't had an official period, we wanted to get an idea of how far along I was.

So the center was interesting. I was greeted by a Hungarian looking man and a Pakistan looking man. Both of whom could not find my papers anywhere. Meanwhile, out walks this huge, tall, very white skinned, blonde haired, blue eyed German guy who then asks in his thick accent "is dis my patient?". Pointing at me. Yikes.

"yes" I said sheepishly.

I was a little thrown back. First of all by just the lack of organization this place seemed to be running under. And secondly by this huge technician. Plus I have never had a male do my ultrasounds before. Just weird.

After a lot of ruffling of papers, they couldn't find my requisition anywhere. So I called my midwife whom I couldn't reach. So then I tried another midwife's pager and got her. So she thankfully was able to re-fax the requisition so that I wouldn't have to rebook, go home and then find childcare for my kids a second time (which was not easy I might add in a town where we are still getting to know people).

So eventually it was my turn. My German technician acted very friendly and had some questions. So we chatted a bit. Once the ultrasound started he made a couple of other comments to which I went to respond to but was rudely CUT off when he said "uhh, just let me do my job" (imagine the accent).

Very odd man.

To add to the weirdness of this place, the room we were in was super small and wasn't like any hospital ultrasound room i've ever been in. There was just the one screen for the German technician and that was it. I couldn't see a thing. So I spent the next 15 minutes or so (oh and he was strangely fast) straining my neck trying to see something....anything. But nothing but some fuzz.

At the very end, after hearing him clicking and printing out some photos, he finally turns the monitor and shows me my baby. Very tiny. But we could see the heartbeat which is always a good thing. He then proceeds to tell me that he "thinks" i am around 8 weeks (which is what I thought and was hoping for) but that he's not sure " 'cause its my firrst time here at dis cliniq and i vill do the calculations laterr with da calculator".

what??? the calculator?? what in tarnations kind of technician are you??? (these are the thoughts going on in my head)

I politely thank him and b-line it out of there. No pictures. No concrete answers. Nothing. I left praying that my midwife would have the results by my appointment and that everything was normal and fine with the baby. Which I am sure it is. But it's always nice to hear those words. Even if they would be from some scary German technician.

So this past week, I had been gearing up for my visit with my midwife which happened on Thursday. BUT Tuesday I received a phone call from the diagnostics center asking me to schedule a second ultrasound because "They need more pictures". Whatever that means.

I got my midwife to call and find out what was going on. Turns out (like I had suspected) my German technician had done a lousy job and the radiologist was ordering a repeat ultrasound.

So I get to go back there.

This Friday.

Pray for me. Especially that I get a different technician.

Maybe i'll actually get some pictures this time.


Oh and just so you know after this I am NEVER going back.

2 Comments:

  1. tammi said...
    Uh, yeah, no kidding. Creepy. Hope you get a different tech on Friday ~ one who knows what they're doing!!
    Alyson said...
    OH my!!!!!! please complain to someone!! That is kind of creepy,and the public should know!!!

Post a Comment