Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Demolition Derby

Last weekend we went to our first demolition derby of the summer. Now that I think of it, it was our first demolition attendance in 3 and 1/2 years (since my son was born). Which is so sad in our eyes since both my husband and I grew up with demolition derby's at the local fair.

So we decided to venture out and take in a local expo that happened to be featuring a demolition on the saturday night. The kids weren't quite sure what we were doing. My son has played some "smashing games" on my husband's computer so he seemed to think we were all going to be playing some big game.





Watching the first cars pull in to determine the best decorated.
(check out their profiles....geez...you'd never guess it was a father and a son...phenomenal)


















The Lighting McQueen car won.
My son was of course cheering for this one














I still can't get over how much they look alike here.
I think this was during the first heat of 4 cylinders. There we're some pretty good hits.












This was while we were waiting for it all to begin.
My daughter was more interested in the snack I brought.














The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. They're both mesmerized.



My daughter was about to yell something. She ended up getting into it a bit before getting really cranky and tired.



This made my son's night. He began to lose interest after the first couple of heats.
He kept begging to go over to where all the lights and rides were.



It wouldn't be a true fair experience if he didn't get to go on at least one.
I love how big his cheeks are here.
He was very happy.

And so we have it. The kids' first demolition derby. In our opinion it wasn't the best derby we've been to. I think we've been spoiled back in our hometown with great seating, huge crowds, lots of local drivers, good old cars, good rules, good hits, huge ring, and lots of fun. Here's to a town that knows how to do it right. Next year maybe we can go home and take the kids to a 'real' demolition derby.


1 Comment:

  1. tammi said...
    Our town has stock car races in summer and a derby or two, but we've actually never been to that yet. It's separate from the rodeo and exhibition. We'll have to check it out next summer. Looks like you had a fun time!!

Post a Comment